Thursday, August 11, 2005

Most Memorable “Accident Prone” Moments

When I was talking to my mom Monday night on the phone, I told her about my shaving accident from earlier that day (which seems to be healing well) and she brought up some of my past injuries, so I thought I would list the most memorable ones for you:

The curling iron burns (yes burns, more than one) to the head region. I’ve had marks on my ears, forehead and neck. The most memorable of those was the day of Jill & Dan’s wedding. The night before at the rehearsal dinner, the guys were talking about how they hate it when girls get hickies and blame them on the curling iron. Low and behold, the next day while I was getting ready for the wedding, I burnt my neck on a curling iron – badly I might add. Ended up with a 3rd degree burn that required a visit to the doctor.

The black eye my brother gave me when he threw a shoe at me. I started my 8th grade year with quite the shiner and was given the nickname “Spot” by my art teacher (senior year in high school and he’s still call me Spot when he saw me).

The curling iron burn to the palm of my hand. Never pick up a curling iron by the barrel unless you’re sure it’s not hot. Just because the light is off in the bathroom, doesn’t mean the curling iron hadn’t been plugged in all day and that it hadn’t just been unplugged right before you walked in to pick it up. Also, when your hand comes into contact with something that hot, it seems to like to grab hold even tighter. I didn’t think I’d ever be able to let go.

The car door slamming on my nose. Windy day and a sloping driveway at the Shoemaker residence in Wellington, KS does not a good outcome make. I don’t think I could re-enact it if I tried, but it gave Rachel a good laugh. I’m just glad I didn’t break it.

Broken pinky toe. I know a lot of people break their little toe, but how many have broken it while doing a handstand? Takes talent!

Branding myself with a hair dryer. Oh yes, it can be done and it takes YEARS for it to go way. How does one do this you ask? Try dropping a hot, running for 15 minutes, hair dryer on your leg barrel down.

Steam burn on fore arm. Who would have thought that reaching over a steaming coffee pot two years ago would leave a faint, yet still visable scar to this day?

The infamous “shaving accident.” Want to know more, read the post.

The infamous “waxing” accident. I’ll spare the details since I posted it previously, but still haven’t touched the stuff since. Luckily, the scaring is so minor, that unless you know where it is, you don’t even notice it (and make up completely covers it up).

Grapefruit size bruise in Jamaica. This actually is also my most embarrassing story. To make a long story short, we were in Jamaica when I was in college and the guys decided to throw one of the other guys in the pool. Not wanting his watch to get ruined, I was trying to take it off of him when he grabbed my ankle with the intention of taking me with him. Since I was wearing a dress and didn’t want my camera to go into the pool, I was trying to hand my camera to someone in our group while the guys try to use me as a human tug-o-war rope. Before it was over with, I’m in a straddled position with my dress was around my waist and ended up with the biggest bruise on the back of my leg from the near by rail.

The missing toenail. This is pretty gross, but I had a toenail just fall off one summer while I was talking on the phone. It didn’t bleed or anything, it just popped off. It didn’t look like anything was wrong with it, so I don’t know what happened. But since it was summer and I didn’t want it to be obvious that there was a toenail missing, I would just paint the skin. It grew back by the next summer.

And the best, yet STUPIDEST way I have ever injured myself…

The bruised ribs that I got when I fell on/out of a tree. I’m glad my mom doesn’t read this, but if my sister-in-law still does, I might be busted because I’ve never told my mom the real story. When we first moved to Hutchinson, we lived in a duplex on a dead end street. At the end of the street was a green belt that we used to hang out at. One afternoon, my friend Kelly and walked down there after school. It had been raining earlier that day, so everything was wet. I was wearing loafers with slick soles. The story we told my mom was that I slipped and hit the trunk of this tree that had fallen. The REAL story is for some STUPID reason (don’t remember why) I decided to climb a near by tree that was wet from the rain, in these slick soled loafers, and slipped (wonder why?) and fell out of the tree and landed on the tree that had fallen. I didn’t lie about the slipping and falling part, I just left out the reason why I slipped. Nope, I’m not a candidate for Mensa.

4 comments:

Suzy said...

I had forgotten the one that happened at my parents house. You might be able to get something out of them for that one. Maybe mom will make sloppy joes.

Stacey said...

I'm all about your mom's sloppy joes! I need that recipe by the way. Now I'm hungry for sloppy joes for dinner! Thanks a lot!

Mgam said...

Wow! I didn't realize anyone could get hurt in so many ways. I feel sorry for you Stacey....

Anonymous said...

Stacey - don't worry your secret is safe with me :o). I have a few things I have done that my parents still don't know about to this day.

No worries!