Monday, April 23, 2007

Add "Electrician" to the List

Cheryl, if you’re reading this…I’m still alive.

Last night, I decided to play electrician. It all started when I went to clean all the paint off of my hands before church last night. I walked into my bathroom and the lights wouldn’t come on. You could tell they would get brief momentary electricity, but nothing permanent. Because I have been trying to get so many other things done in my house, the bedroom has been neglected, so I didn’t want to call anyone for help. This has happened before in another room in the house and I watched Jay fix it, so I decided I could do this myself.

I went to Lowe’s, bought a new switch and cover, went home and proceeded to replace it myself (and yes, I turned off the power in the bathroom). I was doing okay until it came time to take the wires out of the existing switch. I couldn’t get them out and couldn’t figure out how…so once again I made a call and it was Roger to the rescue (at least over the phone). I was going about it the right way, I just needed to put a little more UMPH into it. Of course the old switch was nothing like the new one, but we got that figured out too. Thirty minutes later, I had light!

I’ve been wanting (in some cases “needing”) to replace all the switches and outlets in the house. Now I have the confidence I need to do it (that could be dangerous).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I am super impressed with all the work you're doing. Maybe one day when I am brave enough to get a house, I will just fly you down to help with the renovation projects. Who needs a "professional" when Stacey's around?! :)

Stacey said...

Truth be known...I don't want to spend the money to hire a professional - but the men I know get LOTS of phone calls. =o)

OK Chick said...

You know, there are people that can do this kind of stuff for you?
Really, you just have to make one phone call.

Stacey said...

Nobody I know.