Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Welcome to My World

So this is what you see right now when you walk into my office. Actually you normally see something similar just about any time you walk into my office. It's not totally my fault. My office is often a dumping ground for stuff other people don't know what to do with. Right now it's better than it has been in a while. You could barely walk into it a month ago because of all of the boxes. I've been working on finding a home for some of this stuff, so maybe there will be "after" pictures later this week.

The lovely credenza behind me was the decorating ladies answer to my "work space problem. This was not desiged to be a desk to work at. my legs don't fit under it and the drawers are difficult to organize. I probably should get baskets to put in the cubby holes so it looks neater, but I don't have a decorating budget, and I'm not spending my own money for something at work that I need at home.
This space will always look this way. I sometimes stick some of the files on top in that "file organizer" on the right, but then I forget about them. Actually I tend to forget about everything on the "desk" behind me because I don't face that direction very often.

This is leftover supplies from a reception I organized. Technically the stuff now belongs to our Bible class. Lemonade anyone?
No I do not have a serious coffee addiction. I don't even touch the stuff. This belongs to my Bible class and doesn't fit in our cabinet. Until recently I had THREE coffee pots, plus some other goodies.

I have no idea why I have an extra monitor in my office. It supposedly has a home...I think it's lost.


Empty boxes/containers are a staple in my office. I seem to be a box/container magnet. I was told NOT to throw away the long skinny one, the plastic one...belongs to my Bible class. I think I can throw the bubble wrap away.

Ahh, the fun stuff. No, I don't collect cell phones. These are phones that got turned in. But I don't remember anymore which ones work and which ones need to be disposed of. They are sitting there so I can find chargers for them (I have a box of those in my closet) and answer this eternal question. The package of hearing aid batteries I'm trying to find a home for. Just a note, when you send and email to your co-workers looking for a home for hearing aid batteries, be prepared for the responses.


Now this mess is mine, all mine! 90% of my work takes place in this space. Other than the bulletin notebook, most of it probably should be tossed, but I'm afraid to toss some of it (especially all the little notes) because there might be something on it I need. I'll try to get on that.


Last but not least...my morning hot tea, my water bottle that I usually end up getting water on myself when I'm drinking from it but I like the color so I keep it, my candy dish that holds the cinnamon candy which is the only reason most people stop by my office, and the phone that I pull off the desk at least once a week.

So that kids is a tour of where I spend all of my time. You know, I've been working here for 10 years, 8 months, and 12 days and have been sitting in the same chair for just about 10 years and 8 months of that time. I would be curious to know how many hours my buttock has been glued to that chair. I bet more than any other piece of furniture I have ever own.

This has officially been one of my most RANDOM posts ever!

6 comments:

OK Chick said...

Wow and I thought my office had random stuff in it. HA! I have a beach ball, football,and binoculars in my office, didn't see that in your pictures.

Stacey said...

Yeah, no binoculars. But I do have a water gun in my desk. I am the first line of protection in our office. I needed to be armed with something. ;o)

Jason said...

I estimate you've sat in that chair 14,560 hours! :) Here are the assumptions I made:
- 1 week away from work every 4 months (32 weeks total).
- 40 hour work weeks.
- You are sitting 70% of the time you are at work.

Stacey said...

Could be close.

Tamra said...

My office has found a friend in your office. My office is also a dumping ground for all manner of random things. I had a 6th grader tell me on Sunday that my office is in need of a makeover. If only he also had a name of a makeover artist, I'd be set....

Stacey said...

Tams, I'm sure you understand this mess better than anyone. It can't be helped. ;o)