Friday, March 23, 2007

Lost

I have always had a pretty good sense of direction. I don’t get lost too easily – and when I do, I usually find my way back pretty quick. Not last night.

I was a Bible study at a friend’s house who lives in The Village. As I was leaving his house, I made the mistake of checking my voicemail on my phone. Instead of turning around in his driveway and going back the way I came, I opted to just go around the block. BIG mistake. I was so distracted by the message on my voicemail that I wasn’t paying enough attention to where I was going. I spent the next 15-20 minutes trying to get out of The Village.

Since it was dark and cloudy, I had no idea what direction I was going. I think I went past the same school at least three times. All I needed to do was find May Avenue or Hefner Road and I was golden. Could not find either of them to save my life. I was starting to panic that I might spend the rest of the night trapped in The Village. I couldn’t even find my way back from where I had been to try and back track. I would find streets that I would recognize as having direct access to one of those major streets, but I guess since I was turned around, I was going the wrong direction because I would end up no where.

Finally, I saw several cars pass by up ahead and decided to head that direction. It appeared to be a multi-lane road, so that was a good thing. Sure enough, I found myself on Hefner Road, FAAAARRR from where I started, but that was okay because I knew how to get to where I needed to go from there.

After last night’s experience, I’m thinking that at the very least, I need to invest in a compass!

No comments: