Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Weekend Happenings

The lizard has not been seen since it’s original appearance. I am hoping it found it’s way out of my house…or at the very least out of my bedroom. I don’t know if this is true or not, but the roommate told me lizards are timid and it probably won’t come anywhere near me…awake or asleep. This tidbit of information is the only thing that is allowing me to get sleep at night (which I didn’t for 3 days.) If this is just a story she was telling me, please don’t tell me any differently.

The plus side is that this inspired me to clean my room…finally. I had Relay piles, I had camp piles, I had “I don’t know what to do with this” piles. The latter is still there, but the rest has been taken care of. I still need to clean off my desk, but I’m in no hurry to do that. Though, it’s amazing what I find when I clean off my desk.

Another area that needed some attention is my “to be shredded” pile. It is amazing how much stuff you accumulate that needs to be disposed of properly to avoid identity theft. What happened to the good old days when you could just throw away your junk mail and other stuff? Anyway, the “to be shredded” pile had gotten out of control and I really didn’t want to spend an entire day shredding stuff, so I got this BRIGHT idea. Since I was grilling dinner that night on my charcoal grill, I thought I would just go ahead and burn my bills instead of shredding them – thinking it would be faster. It might have been if I hadn’t put ALL of them in there at one time.

Before you say it, yes I know that it was probably illegal, but since I don’t personally know any fire fighters (sadly enough) I figure I’m safe telling this story. I was being VERY careful in my endeavor. I hosed down the yard, kept the hose on as I stood right by the grill. I even closed the lid on the grill at first to keep the ash from flying out (even though it was not windy). Closing the grill just made it smoke really bad. A few minutes into it, I started to hear fire trucks and feared that one of my neighbors called the fire department because they could smell the smoke. But when the fire department didn’t show up at my house, I figured I was safe.

Really, there was no major incident – but it was still smoking on Sunday afternoon and it didn’t cool off enough till last night for me to clean up the mess. I don’t recommend doing it, but I did manage to destroy all of my old bills and what not, so I guess I accomplished my mission.

2 comments:

luke said...

I can't believe you burned your bills!

Check the blog, you have an assignment...

Stacey said...

Oh, believe it. But I have no intention on ever doing it again, so I have been much better about shredding things as I get them instead of letting them pile up. I just hate that we live in a world where you have to shred!