Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Commentary on Commercials

I have to admit I am a self-proclaimed a TV commercial critic. Nothing annoys me more than a stupid, low-budget commercial. My theory on the subject is if you can’t do it well, don’t do it at all. A cheap looking TV commercial will just shoot you in the foot.

That being said, here are currently the top two on my most hated list and the #1 on my favorite list.

Most Hated Commercial #1: LifeTel’s Bob and the Big Burrito

If you haven’t seen it, I’m not quite sure where to begin. First of all, I get the feeling their trying to make some sexual innuendo when it comes to the big burrito…but its not funny and pretty stupid. The guy is also wearing an obviously fake mustache. I guess they’re trying to make some point that because Bob doesn’t have LifeTel telephone service, he can’t call his girlfriend (who is too pretty for him) and has to eat his big burrito all by himself. LifeTel, fire your ad agency and get a new commercial.


Most Hated Commercials #2: Quest

Okay, if you’re a single male reading this and you have been thinking about calling Quest because you’re looking for a hot woman to date, I have some news for you…it ain’t going to happen. Let me clue you in on a few things. First of all, women do not sit around their houses in slutty outfits with our hair and make-up done. We don’t go to that much trouble to sit around the house and talk on the phone. Second of all, women like THAT don’t generally join phone chat lines unless there is something not quite right about them (think Fatal Attraction). Sorry, you will not be talking to the girls on those commercials on the phone.

There is one more thing that bothers me about the Quest commercials…actually one in particular. The girl in the commercial says her name is Melissa. She looks 16 with big hair and lots of make-up. Are they now trying to attract the clientele that has a fetish for under-aged girls? I think so. But don’t they already have enough sick psycho clientele without reaching out to more?


Now for my FAVORITE commercial showing right now: Toyota Prius

Okay, these have to be the best directed/orchestrated/choreographed commercials I have EVER seen. The first few times, I just thought they were bright and happy…until I realized those are PEOPLE! I still watch with amazement. Click here and you can see all three, plus the making of the Harmony commercial, and even download the music. Well done Toyota. If I could afford your car, I would consider buying one...but only if I could see people running around in nature costumes everywhere I go.

2 comments:

jenn b said...

Your description of the burrito commercial made me literally laugh out loud... and it's almost 1 am... please don't let Kyler wake up again. Yes, I said again. I'll tell you more about that fiasco tomorrow! ;)
I have to agree that the Toyota commercials are really innovative and an amazing amount of work had to have gone into that but honestly, they creep me out a little...I can't explain why...!

Stacey said...

I could see how all the people in costumes could be borderline creepy...but it's just so well choreographed it off-sets the creeiness value for me.