Thursday, October 26, 2006

Thoughts for the Week

My New Toy
A salesman came in yesterday trying to sell us a new phone system. Since we just replaced ours about three years ago and it’s not something you replace regularly, he was wasting his time. He DID bring me something really cool (not a stupid pen or magnet like they usually bring). He brought me an airplane! And of course, as soon as he left the office, I put it together and tried it out. It didn’t do too well in the office because it kept hitting the ceiling tiles, but it DID do awesome in the auditorium. Who could think I would be so easily entertained (okay, so everyone did.)

Pumpkin Carving
Warning, this can become addictive. What’s great is that it’s a lot easier to carve and NO CLEAN UP! There used to be a tradition with some of my college friends to have a pumpkin carving party every year, but we haven’t done it in a really long time. I thought about re-establishing the tradition this year with new friends, but decided it was too messy. So HERE consider yourself invited to my pumpkin carving party!

Hiccups
I got the hiccups really bad this afternoon. I hate the hiccups, especially when they are so bad that you can’t write or type because of the convulsions the cause.

House Numbers
I finally have house numbers. Now I just need to put them on the house. I tried Tuesday night, but it was after 7 p.m. and it was noisy and I didn’t want to make the neighbors mad, so I decided to hold off and maybe try at lunch today when no one is home.

The Post Office
If you live in Edmond and have every tried to send out a bulk mail, you know how trying it can be (especially when Silvia was in charge). Yesterday, one of our secretaries took a bulk mailing to the post office. When she got there, they didn’t have any sleeves for her to put the trays in, so she went to the counter. The normal lady wasn’t there, but Debbie could see a woman back there working. She waited a few minutes before the woman saw her and approached the counter. Here was their conversation:

Postal Employee: Did you need something?
Debbie: You are out of sleeves and I need some for my trays.
Postal Employee: Did you ring the bell?
Debbie: This bell? (pointing to the counter) No.
Postal Employee: You need to ring the bell.

Debbie stands there for a second trying to figure out if this woman was serious and decides she is. So she rings the bell.

Postal Employee: How can I help you?

Debbie seriously was looking for a hidden camera and said it was all she could do not to bust out laughing. Seriously, we are starting to wonder what test they give postal employees to determine if they are difficult enough people to work for them.

Nightmare
Last night (well, technically it was this morning) I had one of the worst nightmares I have had in a very long time. Hours later and I am STILL shaking. In my dream, I was living in an apartment (the big city kind that opens up into a hallway). A friend had come over and we were talking in my living room for a little bit and then he left. After he left, I decided to make pancakes. I had just finished and walked into the other room when I hear my front door open. Thinking it’s my friend, I peak around the corner. That’s when this guy is walking around my kitchen telling me he’s the apartment welcoming committee. He’s got a bottle of pills and it unwrapping something (cord or tape or something). The way the apartment was laid out, I was able to run out the front door without running past him. I’m running down the hall banging on door screaming and just about the time he grabbed me, I woke myself up screaming. I don’t know if I woke my roommate up (if I did, she wasn’t too worried), but it took me over 45 minutes to calm down enough to go back to sleep. I hate dreams like that.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Just for the record I stink at pumpkin carving!