Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Let's Try This Again Tomorrow

Have you ever had one of those days when you just want to go back to bed and call it a day and start over tomorrow? I had one yesterday.

I started out not feeling too hot to begin with. I’ve really been trying not to get sick yet (I need that to wait till the end of February), so I wasn’t thrilled to wake up feeling blah. When I get to work, things start out pretty normal. THEN the mud slide called “my day” begins.

All of a sudden, our mail server goes down. Granted there are some things that I kind of needed my email for, but I could live without it. The reason this is such a bad thing is not because I can’t email, but because my co-workers begin calling me saying “my email doesn’t work”. I reply, “I know, nobody’s does and we don’t know when it will be back up. I’ll let you know when it’s working.”

It would seem logical that they not call me again till I tell them its working. Oh, no. We’ve been down this road before. They will continue to call me every half hour to find out if email is working again. Did you try it? Was it working? Then the answer is NO!

I leave the server room knowing this is going to be a long day, but nothing I haven’t dealt with before. I walk back into our office and was notified by our receptionist that one of the elders is trying to reach me. Come to find out, the elders want an article in the bulletin on Sunday and one of our ministers not only failed to tell us this, but also told him deadlines are at noon on Wednesday. I’ll spare you the details of bulletin preparation, but this isn’t exactly accurate. So now, I have an irritated elder who wants his article in the bulletin and my only option is to make a bunch of phone calls and ask people to now cut the length of their articles so I will have room.

At this point, because I don’t feel good, I really just want to cry. In the scheme of things, it’s really not that bad, but I feel like crap and my day is going downhill fast. That’s when I learned that we also can’t print and our database is down. Seems email isn’t the only thing on that particular server.

Since I can’t do much in the lines of work at the moment, I decided to take an early lunch run an errand out at the mall. I’m about to get on the turnpike when my check engine light comes on, my car starts to rattle, and it smells like something is burning. I actually by this point have to just laugh because it would figure today would be the day all of this would happen.

I manage to get my car back to the church (my car stalling on Memorial Road would have been the straw that broke the camel’s back) and call Woody (head of our Transportation Ministry) to see if he can determine if it is safe to drive to the mechanic. As far as he could tell, it was but there was definitely something seriously wrong. He does tell me though that there is some corrosion around my battery and quote “I should probably get my boyfriend to clean it off for me.” And who does he suggest that is because if he knows, I have a few other “honey-do’s” for that boyfriend!

Anyway, I call my mechanic and he doesn’t answer. Seems he’s building a new shop, so he’s closed for a few months. Luckily, a mechanic I know from church had time to look at it. Seems I needed a new spark plug and new spark plug cables. It could be worse – I could need a new engine! So, I’m now $180 farther away from replacing my stove, floors and furnace than I was (which was already quite a ways away).

There were a few little glitches through out the rest of the day, but nothing else major (which was good because I might have shown up on the 10:00 news if anything else had gone wrong.)

Today, I still don’t feel great, but we have email and can print, so things are off to a better start. Let’s just hope it stays that way.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Sorry you had a bad day. When it rains, it pours. Surely this means you are due for an incredible day real soon!

Karen said...

I hate those kind of days! Glad it all worked out for you anyway. Hey, I'll be at church on Feb. 12 (with Scott.)